Design Engineer x 2
Gas Networks Ireland operates and maintains Ireland’s €2.7bn, 14,617km national gas network, which is considered one of the safest and most modern gas networks in the world. Over 720,000 Irish homes and businesses trust Ireland’s gas network to provide convenient and reliable energy to meet their heating, cooking and transport needs.
The gas network is the cornerstone of Ireland’s energy system, securely supplying more than 30% of Ireland’s total energy, including 40% of all heating and over 50% of the country’s electricity generation. By facilitating the roll-out of new technologies such as CNG in transport and replacing natural gas with renewable gases such as biomethane and hydrogen, Gas Networks Ireland is working to deliver a net-zero carbon gas network and support Ireland’s journey to a cleaner energy future.
Gas Networks Ireland is a commercial semi-state organisation committed to growth, innovation, safety and sustainability. The company is an employer of choice for many, providing a dynamic, modern and inclusive workplace for its staff to grow and develop throughout their career.
Gas Networks Ireland is now seeking to appoint two Design Engineer(s) to work primarily on DX high volumes designs.
The Asset Delivery function within Gas Networks Ireland is responsible for the end to end planning, designing and delivery of GNI’s portfolio of asset development programmes. Encompassing the three pillars of Project Delivery Management, Design Delivery and Project Services; the Asset Delivery function brings together all the technical and project support capabilities needed to take high-level projects and programmes from the Portfolio Office and translate these through from detailed design and project planning, to construction delivery and handover to Asset Operations.
Reporting to the Senior Design Engineer – DX high volumes, the Design Engineer will have responsibility for the detailed design of CAPEX and OPEX projects, programmes, inclusive of new connections across the gas Transmission and Distribution network. The Design Engineer will manage all aspects of the design and review designer risks associated with outsourced engineering providers ensuring a high-quality design service is delivered to the Networks Business. The successful candidate will have the ability to effectively diagnose technical issues and have knowledge of gas related process design. The Design Engineer will work closely with the C&I Design Engineers, outsourced C&I partners and Technical Assurance function ensuring alignment of the Design Delivery process from end to end to meet overall project or programme timelines.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design projects from first principles, ability to complete design calculations in relation to gas standards, proximity assessments, hazardous area calculations, utilise engineering service providers and technical specialists to deliver design aspects of capex, opex, new connections for existing and future gas network to meet design programme timelines.
- Act as Lead Designer for capex, opex or connections to the network where the design is performed internally within GNI. Where the design is outsourced, provide comment on the design review process and review and residual design risks for sign off.
- Support the design process to drive an outsourced hybrid design model to flex design capacity to meet capex, opex and connection timelines.
- Support the continuous improvement of the design process tailoring material enquiry process to implement hybrid design process.
- Develop process and procedures for materials guidance document for ESP’s, contribute towards driving efficiencies within the design process.
- Ensure all design documentation is fully and accurately completed, develop appropriate procedures to ensure compliance with regulatory controls, where required.
- Contributing to the continuous improvement of internal operational processes and procedures including ISO: 9000 in the Design environment.
- Drive sustainability within the design process e.g. sustainable drainage etc.
- Co-ordination of specialist technical services and third-party resources as part of the design process.
- Support Senior Design Engineers as required and Lead Designers of other disciplines within the Design Delivery process.
- Comply with appropriate controls for environmental, planning or other statutory conditions, mitigations as part of any consenting process.
- Contributing to the ongoing competency initiative within Design Delivery.
- Ensure a robust process is in place in terms of design documentation for each programme or project from a design delivery perspective.
- Performing other duties as assigned from time to time.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Proven technical competence is essential – Engineering degree or other relevant qualification with relevant experience in the natural gas, process or similar industries.
3 years’ experience is preferred, however candidates with less experience, and recent graduates, who can demonstrate the required technical competence will be considered.
- You will have experience of working within teams and across virtual teams to deliver on shared goals and objectives.
- You will have knowledge of the engineering design process and an understanding of process safety in the application of designs.
- You will have demonstrated judgment and decision-making capability to achieve common goals.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills and the ability to influence, advocate and persuade.
- Ability to set up ongoing procedures to collect and review information as needed.
- Proactively identifying new areas of learning and using newly gained knowledge and skill on the job
- Experience with identifying improvement opportunities, generating ideas and implementing solutions.
- Have a working knowledge of H&S standards and risk management systems e.g. Design Risk Assessment, ability to identify hazards and eliminate in the design process.
- Knowledge of relevant Gas Standards, Codes of Practice and Statutory Requirements would be desirable.
Applications, including current Curriculum Vitae, should be emailed to the following address stating the job title and reference number in the subject line of your email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for receipt of applications for this vacancy is the
1st February 2023.
Please note that applications submitted after this closing date will not be accepted.
Gas Networks Ireland is an equal opportunities employer
We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive place of work and have a robust strategy and framework called ibelong to enable this. We are an equal opportunity employer and through our recruitment process we welcome and encourage applications from interested and suitably qualified individuals regardless of gender, age, racial or ethnic origin, membership of the traveller community, religion or beliefs, family or civil status, sexual orientation/gender identity or disability.