Field Operations Technician
Gas Networks Ireland operates and maintains Ireland’s €2.7bn, 14,664km national gas network, which is considered one of the safest and most modern renewables-ready gas networks in the world.
Over 720,000 Irish homes and businesses trust Ireland’s gas network to provide efficient and reliable energy to meet their heating, cooking, manufacturing and transport needs.
The gas network is the cornerstone of Ireland’s energy system, securely supplying more than 30% of Ireland’s total energy, including 40% of all heating and almost 50% of the country’s electricity generation.
By working to replace natural gas with renewable gases, such as biomethane and green hydrogen, and complementing intermittent renewable electricity, Gas Networks Ireland is supporting Ireland’s journey to a cleaner energy future.
The Asset Operations function within Gas Networks Ireland is responsible for the construction, operations and maintenance of the Transmission and Distribution networks, executing all field work safely and efficiently in line with all relevant legislation, standards, industry codes and practices. The Network Operations team within Asset Operations is responsible for the safe and efficient operation and maintenance of the transmission and distribution networks.
Applications are now invited from suitably qualified candidates for the position of Field Operations Technician.
Reporting to the Networks Coordinator or their delegate, the Field Operations Technician is responsible for the delivery of construction, commissioning, operational, maintenance and decommissioning activities on Natural Gas Pipeline, Pressure Control and Metering Assets on the transmission and distribution networks in a safe and efficient manner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The delivery of works associated with planned, corrective and reactive operational activities on the transmission, distribution & renewable networks safely and efficiently.
- The delivery of works associated with capital projects, whether delivering the work, or facilitating the delivery of the works by an appointed third party contractor.
- To identify all operational issues/concerns that relate to the operation of the network to their line manager in a timely manner through the appropriate channels.
- Full participation in team drawn from both direct and contractor staff to include cross skilling with other functions where required.
- The full and appropriate use of Hand Held Technology and Mobile Work Management systems in the field as required.
- Support the development of new technologies (CNG/Biomethane/Hydrogen)
- Maintenance and problem solving on all Mechanical assets and installations including but not limited to liaising with vendor’s on issues, diagnosing faults and endeavouring to maintain minimal downtime with faults and alarms, asset data capture requirements and red line updates on drawings.
- Identifying areas for improvement with Mechanical processes, equipment and installations on the network.
- Liaising with local authorities and other third parties as required
- Compliance with all Health, Safety and Environmental requirements including the completion of Site Risk Assessments/Safe Systems of Work, Hazard Reporting etc. and participation in all new Safety/Environmental initiatives as required.
- Ensure all work is carried out in accordance with documented GNI procedures, risk assessments and work instructions and where unsure to seek confirmation from their line manager.
- Inter-regional work flexibility where required.
- Participation in competency assessments and all training requirements.
- Participate in mentoring, training and up skilling of GNI resources as required
- Participation in an out of hours on-call rota as required.
- Other duties that may be assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Applicants must be a time served craftsperson have completed a basic trade cert / apprenticeship or have obtained junior / senior trade cert.
- Experience working with natural gas
- Proven experience in plant and system maintenance such as Compressors, Pumps, Industrial Boilers, Hydraulic & Pneumatic systems and Process pipework.
- Applicants must hold a full clean driving license as the majority of the work is site based.
- Ability to work with others to ensure success in the performance of a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to convey messages in a clear and sufficient manner
- Proven effective time management skills with the ability to prioritise and remain focused
- Flexible with regards working in a changing environment and the ability to adjust to new work structures, processes, and requirements as necessary
- Proactively identifying new areas of learning and using newly gained knowledge and skill on the job
- Striving for quality and ensuring consistent high standards of work
Applications, including current Curriculum Vitae, should be emailed to the following address stating the job title and reference number in the subject line of your email:
The closing date for receipt of applications for this vacancy is the 29th of February 2024.
Please note that applications submitted after this closing date will not be accepted.
Gas Networks Ireland is an equal opportunities employer
We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive place of work and have a robust strategy and framework called ibelong to enable this. We are an equal opportunity employer and through our recruitment process we welcome and encourage applications from interested and suitably qualified individuals regardless of gender, age, racial or ethnic origin, membership of the traveller community, religion or beliefs, family or civil status, sexual orientation/gender identity or disability.