Junior Telecoms Engineer
Gas Networks Ireland operates and maintains Ireland’s €2.7bn, 14,617km national gas network, which is considered one of the safest and most modern gas networks in the world. Over 706,000 Irish homes and businesses trust Ireland’s gas network to provide convenient and reliable energy to meet their heating, cooking and transport needs.
The gas network is the cornerstone of Ireland’s energy system, securely supplying more than 30% of Ireland’s total energy, including 40% of all heating and over 50% of the country’s electricity generation. By facilitating the roll-out of new technologies such as CNG in transport and replacing natural gas with renewable gases such as biomethane and hydrogen, Gas Networks Ireland is working to deliver a net-zero carbon gas network and support Ireland’s journey to a cleaner energy future.
Gas Networks Ireland is a commercial semi-state organisation committed to growth, innovation, safety and sustainability. The company is an employer of choice for many, providing a dynamic, modern and inclusive workplace for its staff to grow and develop throughout their career.
Aurora Telecom, a division of Gas Networks Ireland, provides a futureproofed backhaul network for progressive projects of national economic and social importance. A carrier-neutral operator, Aurora specialises in Dark Fibre services for telecommunications carriers, corporate organisations and government services. The national and metro networks which we have developed will enable Irish rural economies to diversify into new sectors and capitalise on emerging job opportunities that are facilitated through high speed broadband.
Reporting to the Network Manger, the role will encompass several engineering remits within Aurora’s Telecommunications Business Processes.
The successful candidate will support aspects of the fibre network from design, planning and fibre records; to maintenance, network audits and improvements. Work will include office and field assignments. The successful candidate will also work closely with members of wider team that have also been assigned tasks related to the fibre network.
As fibre is our only product, pricing and tender responses will form party of duties, supporting the business in these areas. Initially this will require fibre design distances, route definition, customer record set-up, and template population to support the business.
There is an opportunity in the team to expand the role and for the individual to gain valuable experience in a professional technical and business environment.
There is a requirement to act as delegate for the Network manager for meetings and leave cover.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist the Network Manager within the remit of design and maintenance of the fibre optic network.
- Entry and upkeep of the fibre records, allocation and usage of fibre in the network
- Assist in the planning and programming of fibre optic projects; both internal and customer
- Assist in the preparation of tender documentation, tender appraisal, and tender review
- Assist the Network Manager with other remits on process and templates to support the business
- Assist in preparing customer quotations and proposals
- Assist with on-site supervision of telco projects in line with appropriate technical and safety standards in operations adjacent to the Distribution/ Transmission gas network. Part of training for the role.
- Once experience level has been reached - provide on-call support for any maintenance issues –
- Other duties may be assigned from time to time.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Degree in Telecommunications or relevant Engineering discipline
- Strong analytical skills with high level of computer literacy is desirable - Excellent Excel, Word. PowerPoint etc
- Strong communication is a key skill in the role as there are many stakeholders
- The right attributes for the role should be motivated, keen to improve and look for better ways of working, work independently and report on progress regularly
- Have the ability to work on multiple projects at the same time and meet agreed deadlines.
- Experience in fibre optic telecommunications role working directly with Fibre Networks is advantageous
- Knowledge or understanding of AutoCAD/ARC GIS is advantageous
- Understanding of the tendering process; creation, issuing and responses is advantageous
- Knowledge of GIS, GE SmallWorld is desirable
Applications, including current Curriculum Vitae, should be emailed to the following address stating the job title and reference number in the subject line of your email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for receipt of applications for this vacancy is the 23rd of February 2023.
Please note that applications submitted after this closing date will not be accepted.
Gas Networks Ireland is an equal opportunities employer
We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive place of work and have a robust strategy and framework called ibelong to enable this. We are an equal opportunity employer and through our recruitment process we welcome and encourage applications from interested and suitably qualified individuals regardless of gender, age, racial or ethnic origin, membership of the traveller community, religion or beliefs, family or civil status, sexual orientation/gender identity or disability.