Project Delivery Engineer (DX Programmes)
Gas Networks Ireland operates and maintains Ireland’s €2.7bn, 14,664km national gas network, which is considered one of the safest and most modern renewables-ready gas networks in the world.
Over 720,000 Irish homes and businesses trust Ireland’s gas network to provide efficient and reliable energy to meet their heating, cooking, manufacturing and transport needs.
The gas network is the cornerstone of Ireland’s energy system, securely supplying more than 30% of Ireland’s total energy, including 40% of all heating and almost 50% of the country’s electricity generation.
By working to replace natural gas with renewable gases, such as biomethane and green hydrogen, and complementing intermittent renewable electricity, Gas Networks Ireland is supporting Ireland’s journey to a cleaner energy future.
Gas Networks Ireland is now seeking to appoint a Project Delivery Engineer – DX Programmes.
The Asset Delivery function within Gas Networks Ireland is responsible for the end to end planning, designing and delivery of GNI’s portfolio of asset development programmes. Encompassing the three pillars of Project Delivery Management, Design Delivery and Project Services; the Asset Delivery function brings together all the technical and project support capabilities needed to take high-level projects and programmes from the Portfolio Office and translate these through from detailed design and project planning, to construction delivery and handover to Asset Operations.
Reporting to the Project Delivery Lead, the Project Delivery Engineer will be responsible for supporting the end to end planning and delivery of DX high volume projects/programmes issued to their respective workstream by the Portfolio Office. The Project Delivery Engineer will work closely with key internal stakeholders across the Portfolio Office, Asset Management, Technical Development & Technical Training, Design Delivery and Project Services teams; to drive the successful development and delivery of these projects from Gate 2 through to Gate 4.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as the primary point of contact for the delivery of specified project(s) as part of a cross functional team responsible for the design, planning and delivery of selected asset delivery/upgrade projects. Leads and/or supports the management of project budget, schedule, quality and customer/stakeholder requirements, from Gate 2 to Gate 4.
- Responsible for planning and overseeing the end to end delivery of specified projects, in conjunction with Design Delivery and Project Services.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining project schedules (utilising MS Project) including tracking and reporting on progress against the agreed schedule. Updating project status on a monthly basis through the GNI Project Reporting Portal, Business Objects, Maximo, and MS Excel.
- Responsible for developing, reviewing, and collating key documentation as required to progress internal project budget approvals through relevant investment governance committees, in conjunction with Portfolio Office.
- Coordinate the development of tender and contract documents for Asset Delivery, with respect to procurement of 3rd party services and works contracts as necessary. (E.g., Site Investigations, Engineering Services and Construction Works). Review all project related contractor documentation to ensure compliance with legislation, standards, and specifications.
- Liaising with external stakeholders such as Local Authorities, ESB, Eir, NPWS, TII, regarding full project lifecycle activities/agreements. Includes managing applications where assigned projects require Statutory approvals or planning applications.
- Responsible for contract management, risk mitigation and change control, per project/programme, to ensure delivery to time, scope, and customer requirements.
- Ensure all project activities are completed in line with GNI Health, Safety, Quality, Environmental and Sustainability requirements. Ensure contractors comply with their requirements as PSCS requesting improvement, documenting, and escalating to Senior Engineer where required.
- Act as the project escalation point for Asset Delivery, mitigating project risks and resolving any issues that arise for specified project/programme of work.
- Manage relationship with Contractors at the project level, including review and approval of all contractor and project payments, as per relevant contract documentation.
- Liaising with internal departments and external stakeholders to progress project from high-level design to delivery as required.
- Drive for high performance, setting the standard for continuous improvement in the delivery of projects/programmes.
- Responsible for ensuring all project technical records, including As-Built documentation and Asset Data, are delivered to Project Services team as required.
- Performing other duties as assigned from time to time
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Relevant third level degree Engineering or other technical equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years post qualification experience managing the delivery of projects and programmes, in the natural gas or similar utility industries (e.g., water, gas, telecommunications).
- Have a working knowledge of H&S standards and risk management systems e.g., PSDP role etc.
- Working knowledge of project management and financial management methodologies is desirable.
- Ability to deal with complex issues, proactively and in a timely fashion, along with the ability to communicate complex information to others.
- Ability to develop strategic relationships to accomplish the delivery of high priority complex programmes, with multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to exercise independent judgement in methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for programme optimisation and change control.
- Excellent communication (both verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.
Applications, including current Curriculum Vitae, should be emailed to the following address stating the job title and reference number in the subject line of your email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for receipt of applications for this vacancy is
Monday 25 September 2023.
Please note that applications submitted after this closing date will not be accepted.
Gas Networks Ireland is an equal opportunities employer
We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive place of work and have a robust strategy and framework called ibelong to enable this. We are an equal opportunity employer and through our recruitment process we welcome and encourage applications from interested and suitably qualified individuals regardless of gender, age, racial or ethnic origin, membership of the traveller community, religion or beliefs, family or civil status, sexual orientation/gender identity or disability.