Gas Networks Ireland operates and maintains Ireland’s €2.7bn, 14,617km national gas network, which is considered one of the safest and most modern gas networks in the world. Over 706,000 Irish homes and businesses trust Ireland’s gas network to provide affordable and reliable energy to meet their heating, cooking and transport needs.
The gas network is the cornerstone of Ireland’s energy system, securely supplying more than 30% of Ireland’s total energy, including 40% of all heating and over 50% of the country’s electricity generation. By facilitating the roll-out of new technologies such as CNG in transport and replacing natural gas with renewable gases such as biomethane and hydrogen, Gas Networks Ireland is working to deliver a net-zero carbon gas network and support Ireland’s journey to a cleaner energy future.
Gas Networks Ireland is a commercial semi-state organisation committed to growth, innovation, safety and sustainability. The company is an employer of choice for many, providing a dynamic, modern and inclusive workplace for its staff to grow and develop throughout their career.
The Tax Lead is responsible for supporting tax compliance, strategy and planning across the organisation.
Reporting into the Tax Manager, the Tax Lead will also have responsibility for promoting increased awareness of taxation risks and opportunities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the development and implementation of best practice taxation processes and systems.
- Implement a robust, structured tax process with appropriate financial controls to ensure tax compliance with applicable laws.
- Lead the delivery of requirements to tax authority deadlines and requirements are achieved, in an efficient and effective manner.
- Engage with external tax authorities and consultants locally and regionally.
- Promote an increased awareness of taxation risks, threats and opportunities across the GNI organisation.
- Identify key taxation issues that arise within the organization and work with the Tax Manager to ensure appropriate actions are taken or controls are in place to minimise taxation exposures / risks and maximise returns.
- Support a culture of continuous improvement within the tax team.
- Prepare tax projections / forecasts for budgets and business plans.
- Provide appropriate support / advisory / training to all areas of the Business on tax related matters, including advising on tax implications of all contractual positions, researching and resolving technical queries from the Business, carrying out periodic reviews, and advising of any updates in new tax legislation.
- Provide advice on a wide range of projects and planning opportunities in consultation with the Tax Manager to optimize the tax position of the organisation.
- Complying with any KPI’s or SLA’s identified for the tax team.
- Assist the Tax Manager to ensure that the tax team is the centre of excellence for technical taxation matters.
- Prepare the necessary information for inclusion in statutory reporting and provide tax audit support for the wider Finance organisation.
- Manage business stakeholders, participate in relevant meetings and develop strong working relationships with Tax customers.
- Perform other duties as required from time to time.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Relevant third level degree and at least 5-7 years relevant experience.
- Have a thorough knowledge of Irish and UK tax legislation and experience of dealing with the Irish and UK tax authorities.
- Have strong exposure to all areas of taxation including RCT, CT, VAT, WHT, PSWT, PAYE etc.
- Professional qualification in Tax.
- Qualified Accountant (ACA, CIMA, CPA, ACCA),
- Prior experience in tax strategy implementation, planning support and projects.
- Ability to successfully implement and execute work.
- Supporting the implementation and acceptance of change within the workplace and embedding a culture of continuous improvement.
- Experience of developing and maintaining effective strategic partnerships with key stakeholders.
- Proven track record with dealing with complex issues, proactively and in a timely fashion, along with the ability to communicate complex information with others.
- Should have a proactive attitude towards analysis and research, interrogating different electronic and physical media and always looking to develop market knowledge.
- Strong written and verbal and presentation communication skills.
Applications, including current Curriculum Vitae, should be emailed to the following address stating the job title and reference number in the subject line of your email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for receipt of applications for this vacancy is the 7th of July 2022.
Please note that applications submitted after this closing date will not be accepted.
Gas Networks Ireland is an equal opportunities employer
We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive place of work and have a robust strategy and framework called ibelong to enable this. We are an equal opportunity employer and through our recruitment process we welcome and encourage applications from interested and suitably qualified individuals regardless of gender, age, racial or ethnic origin, membership of the traveller community, religion or beliefs, family or civil status, sexual orientation/gender identity or disability.