Design Engineer C&I
Ervia is a commercial semi-state company which provides strategic national gas and water infrastructure and services in Ireland. Through our regulated business, Gas Networks Ireland, we build and operate one of the most modern and safe gas networks in the world. In 2014, we took responsibility for the operation and maintenance of Ireland's water and wastewater assets through our other regulated business Irish Water. Ervia directly employs over 1,600 people who deliver services to 1.6 million customers daily. We are guardians of the national assets and experts in our field. Our infrastructure supports economic and social development, protects the environment and enhances the health and quality of life of the Irish people.
The Asset Management function within Gas Networks Ireland is responsible for optimising the return from the asset portfolio. Asset Management identify, plan and develop investment programmes while achieving an optimal balance between customer requirements, asset efficiency and risk. Asset Management considers the financial and regulatory effects of the proposed investment strategies.
The Design Team within Asset Management is responsible for producing conceptual and detailed designs and drawings, estimating cost of work, securing work prerequisites including materials requirements and applying standardised design templates where appropriate.
Reporting to the Senior C&I Design Engineer, the C&I Design Engineer will be part of a team that is responsible for the detailed design of CAPEX and OPEX projects. The Design Engineer will be a key member of a high performing C&I team that delivers a high quality design service to the Networks Business. The successful candidate will have the ability to effectively diagnose technical issues and have a strong knowledge of process, communications, instrumentation, cathodic protection and electrical design.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in a team of internal Design Engineers/Technicians supported by a team of external engineering service providers with the responsibility for delivering the design element of the capital and operational programmes in related areas of instrumentation, telemetry, metering, cathodic protection and electrical.
- Working to the design and design deviation process , preparing and generating specification , planning and tender documentation and providing technical commissioning support for all C&I related aspects of new and existing gas pipelines and pressure reducing installations across the network.
- Feed into C&I project reporting, including pre-requisites, operate control process and sign-offs for the integrity of Asset Data, implement within C&I and monitor reporting control points with external engineering service providers.
- Support and contribute to the Materials and Innovation function of AM and implementing new technology/innovation and the development of C&I asset specifications.
- Provision of high level technical support and assistance to all departments on C&I related areas such as instrumentation, telemetry, metering, cathodic protection and electrical.
- Contributing to the continuous improvement of internal operational processes and procedures including ISO: 9000 and Engineering Design Manual in a C&I Design environment with continuous focus on safety during the entire design process.
- Contributing to the ongoing competency initiative within C&I Design.
- Liaising with technical specialists and third party providers as part of the design process.
- Ensure all design documentation is fully and accurately completed in accordance with the Engineering Design Manual and work to all procedures to ensure compliance with regulatory controls, where required.
- Generate project control budget and contribute towards driving efficiencies within C&I design process through value engineering.
- Building strategic relationships across key areas within Networks ensure operational priorities are reflected across all relevant policies, procedures, plans and schedules.
- Performing other duties as assigned from time to time.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Relevant (Electrical / Instrumentation) Engineering Degree - Level 8 or recognised equivalent with a minimum of 3 - 5 years engineering experience, preferably in the natural gas or similar industry.
- Technical proficiency in Electrical, Instrumentation and Control System design, Cathodic Protection Systems and equipment specification.
- Have a working knowledge of H&S standards and risk assessment methodology e.g. design risk assessment.
- Knowledge of relevant Gas Standards, Codes of Practice and Statutory Requirements would be desirable.
- Competent in Hazardous Area classification and ATEX certification.
- Have a strong working knowledge of Telemetry / SCADA systems.
- You will be a strong team player and have a demonstrated ability to bring teams together.
- You will be a natural collaborator seeking out opportunities to share knowledge and improve results.
- You will have a clear communication style and will be able to influence others effectively.
- You are comfortable with change and have a demonstrated ability to identify opportunities for improvements and efficiency
- You have demonstrated a commitment to developing new skills in yourself and others.
How to apply
The closing date for receipt of applications for this vacancy is the 24th October 2018
Applications, including a current Curriculum Vitae should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please include the Reference Number for this Role when making an application*
Ervia is an equal opportunities employer