Emergency Planning Engineer
Ervia is a commercial semi-state company which provides strategic national gas and water infrastructure and services in Ireland. Through our regulated business, Gas Networks Ireland, we build and operate one of the most modern and safe gas networks in the world. In 2014, we took responsibility for the operation and maintenance of Ireland's water and wastewater assets through our other regulated business Irish Water. Ervia directly employs over 1,600 people who deliver services to 1.6 million customers daily. We are guardians of the national assets and experts in our field. Our infrastructure supports economic and social development, protects the environment and enhances the health and quality of life of the Irish people.
The Asset Operations function within Gas Networks Ireland is responsible for the construction, operations and maintenance of the Transmission and Distribution networks, executing all field work safely and efficiently in line with all relevant legislation, standards, industry codes and practices.
The Interconnector Operations team within Asset Operations is responsible for the safe and efficient operation and maintenance of the SWSOS, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Sub-Sea and Midleton transmission pipelines, compressor stations and Networks. Reporting to the Interconnector Operations Manager, the Emergency Planning Engineer is responsible for the coordination and programming of emergency exercises required in each area. The role assists with the management of the relevant Safety Case & MAPD documentation for Northern Ireland, Sub Sea and South West Scotland Systems. The role provides the key operational interface between HSQE, Regulatory bodies, local authorities, emergency services and operations in all aspects of emergency management and planning.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Engaging with field operations teams in each region in preparation of emergency scenarios.
- Communicating and coordinating emergency scenarios and tests with contractors and with relevant areas of GNI including to grid control management in advance of exercises.
- Completing and collating reports on all exercises and maintaining Netpoint site.
- Follow up on actions arising from exercises.
- Review and audit emergency repair contracts.
- Coordinating the relationship between the Asset Operations team and the relevant safety regulators in each area: CRU, HSE NI, and HSE UK in conjunction with HSQE.
- Interfacing with the Asset Integrity team on behalf of the Operations team highlighting and escalating issues/concerns as appropriate.
- Participate in the Northern Ireland Natural Gas Safety Forum and other forums such as UKOPA emergency planning workgroup.
- Maintaining relationships across Service Delivery, Workflow Management, Asset Management, Regulation and Commercial and Heath Safety and Environmental and primary contractors carrying out operational and maintenance activities in NI and SWSOS.
- Generation of reports as required.
- Liaising with local authorities and other third parties as required.
- Escalation point for field operations issues within the team.
- Interconnector Team coordinator for operational and maintenance contracts in NI and SWSOS.
- Raise risks and issues as appropriate
- Participate in the on call rota as required.
- Act as Process Controller at Midleton Compressor Station as required per rota.
- Performing other duties as assigned from time to time
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Engineering degree or other relevant qualification is essential.
- Proven technical competence with a minimum of three years relevant experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills and the ability to influence, advocate and persuade.
- Ability to manage projects.
- Knowledge of relevant Gas Standards, Codes of Practice and Statutory Requirements an advantage
- Proven ability to create and develop good working relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals, coupled with the ability to gain commitment from others.
- Experience with identifying improvement opportunities, generating ideas and implementing solutions.
- Experience in emergency planning and emergency legislation is a key advantage.
- Have excellent analytical skills and be able to identify and analyse problems and potential improvements, and propose and implement solutions.
- Experience with Maximo an advantage.
- Flexibility to work across regions as required to address operational needs.
- Ability to draft, review ongoing maintenance and emergency procedures as needed.
- Proactively identifying new areas of learning and using newly gained knowledge and skill on the job.
- Ability to set own high standards of performance and delivering desired results.
How to apply
The closing date for receipt of applications for this vacancy is the 28th May 2019
Applications, including a current Curriculum Vitae should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please include the Reference Number for this Role when making an application*
Ervia is an equal opportunities employer