The Asset Management function within Gas Networks Ireland is responsible for optimising the return from the asset portfolio. Asset Management identify, plan and develop investment programmes while achieving an optimal balance between customer requirements, asset efficiency and risk. Asset Management considers the financial and regulatory effects of the proposed investment strategies. The Network Planning team within Asset Management is responsible for the long-term development of both the transmission and distribution gas network. Network Planning is responsible for development of the Network ensuring operational flexibility is sustained to maximise performance of the Network.
Reporting to the Senior Network Forecasting Engineer, the Network Forecasting Engineer will implement the annual gas demand forecasting process, and support related activities, including the Network Development Plan and Security of Supply analysis. The Network Forecasting Engineer will also lead the monthly historical gas demand reporting function within Network Planning, including the production of the monthly Network Planning Energy Statistics report, and the response to various ad-hoc queries within the business and external, regarding gas demand usage and supply patterns.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Using the existing demand forecasting tools and processes to produce the annual GNI Gas Demand Forecast, and to produce various ad-hoc demand forecasts as are required from time to time.
• Developing and maintaining demand forecasting models, considering relevant factors: e.g. historical demand, new connections, weather and fuel price data.
• Forecasting the future sources of supply to meet the projected demand by Entry Point, e.g. Moffat, Corrib and other future entry points.
• Supporting the implementation of any software technologies related to demand forecasting, in particular Plexos, and support rollout of new software to other areas of the business where required.
• Supporting the tariff process and corporate planning through input to the preparation of annual forecasts.
• Implementing the monthly Network Planning historical demand reporting process, including update of historical demand data and production of the monthly Network Planning Energy Statistics report.
• Responding to various demand review and forecasting questionnaires to external parties such as SEAI, European Network of Transmission System Operators for Gas (ENTSOG) etc.
• Supporting the National and Regional Risk Assessments for Security of Supply for Republic of Ireland (RA 1938).
• Supporting cross functional annual publications such as the Network Development Plan, Capacity Management Plan, Summer/Winter Outlooks and the Northern Ireland Gas Capacity Statement.
• Documenting and updating the detailed procedures of the Network Planning Function.
• From time to time, using the existing hydraulic modelling software tools, Pipeline Studio (Transmission) and SynerGEE (Distribution), to analyse the capability of the gas network to meet future demand requirements.
• Providing ongoing status and raising risks and issues as appropriate to the Senior Network Forecasting Engineer.
• Performing any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Proven Business, Economics or Engineering qualification with a minimum of 4 years’ relevant experience, 2 years of which are in the area of energy systems modelling.
• Experience in use of Plexos Energy Modelling software to model gas and electricity market behaviour will be considered a distinct advantage.
• Proven analytical and problem-solving skills, coupled with the ability to generate innovative technical solutions as required.
• Highly proficient with MS Excel
• Excellent reporting and presentation skills are a key requirement for the position, proven ability to communicate complex technical information and dissemination of results, to both technical and non-technical audiences.
• Ability to set up ongoing procedures to collect and review information as needed.
• You will be a strong team player and have a demonstrated ability to bring teams together.
• You will be a natural collaborator seeking out opportunities to share knowledge and improve results.
• You are committed to providing excellent customer service and have a track record of delivering excellence through others.
The closing date for receipt of applications for this vacancy is the 22nd April 2021.
Applications, including a current Curriculum Vitae should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please include the Reference Number for this Role when making an application*