Gas safety in your business
This section is designed to provide you with the information you need to use gas safely in your business.
What to do if you smell gas
- Ensure gas appliances are turned off and have not been left on and unlit
- Don’t smoke or use naked flame
- Don’t unplug or switch anything electrical on or off
- Open windows and doors
- If the smell persists turn off the gas at the meter
- Call our 24 hour emergency line 1850 20 50 50. (In the interests of public safety all emergency calls are recorded)
- If you can’t get through, dial 999.
- Don’t use a phone in the immediate area of the leak, use a neighbour’s or call from outside
Inform your staff
For safety reasons, it’s a good idea to inform staff where the gas meter and any gas appliances are located in the workplace.