Sustainability in Action 2018
At Gas Networks Ireland, we are committed to responsible business practices. Using the UN Sustainable Development Goals as our blueprint, we have published our first Sustainability Report which highlights our progress in implementing sustainable development across all aspects of GNI operations.
The report also includes our non-financial statement as required under the European Union (Disclosure of Non-Financial and Diversity Information by certain larger undertakings and groups) Regulations 2017 as amended by the European Union (Disclosure of Non-Financial and Diversity Information by certain larger undertakings and groups) (Amendment) Regulations 2018.
Our main focus is on the three pillars of sustainability:
Read our report here.
What have we achieved?
In 2018 we focused on the areas of waste, biodiversity and climate change and have developed a number of initiatives regarding carbon emissions, energy use, waste generation and the efficient use of resources.
Our environmental achievements included:
-94% recycling rate;
-Signing up to the Low Carbon Pledge;
-Establishing an Environmental Energy Working Group; and
-Implementing our Biodiversity Enhancement Programme across our offices and sites.
In 2018 we continued to support community initiatives and focused on the areas of education, employability and accessibility. Last year one third of our employees volunteered with community programmes and undertook 1,250 volunteering hours.
Our social achievements included:
- Supporting 68 community initiatives;
- Launching the new STEM programme “Energize” to primary school students nationwide;
- Encouraging literacy through the Time to Read campaign; and
- Introducing flexible working solutions for our employees.
In 2018 we continued to enhance our service with a view to supporting sustainability. We invested €145 million in gas network infrastructure to drive sustainable growth and new connections.
Our economic achievements included:
- Constructing a second Compressed Natural Gas facility in Dublin Port;
- Commissioning the second pipeline for the Ireland-Scotland Interconnector project; and
- Completion of our Gas to Listowel project, bringing natural gas to Listowel town.