Freedom of Information
Freedom of Information
The Freedom of Information Act 2014 (“the FOI Act”) gives members of the public the right to access records held by public bodies which are subject to the FOI Act (“FOI bodies”), and, in some circumstances, to amend records containing personal information held by FOI bodies and to seek reasons for decisions of FOI bodies.
The FOI Act provides for the following rights:
- the right to access records held by FOI bodies;
- the right to have records held by FOI bodies which contain personal information relating to the requester amended where it is incomplete, incorrect or misleading;
- the right, in certain circumstances, to be given reasons for decisions made or taken by FOI bodies that affect them.
The FOI Act provides for exemptions which mean that, in certain circumstances, requested information cannot be released. An example of this may be in order to protect commercially sensitive information within the meaning of the FOI Act, or to prevent the disclosure of personal information. Where exemptions are applicable to a request received, Gas Networks Ireland will provide reasons to you for applying such exemption.
How to make a request to Gas Networks Ireland under the FOI Act:
To make a request to Gas Networks Ireland under the FOI Act, please use one of the following options:
- Submit your request by email to email@example.com; or
- Submit your request in writing to the Gas Networks Ireland FOI Unit by post to: Networks Services Centre, St. Margarets Road, Finglas, Dublin 11.
In your letter or email, we would ask that you:
- state that the request is being made under the FOI Act;
- give as much detail as possible in relation to the information concerned to enable us to identify the record(s) sought by the taking of reasonable steps;
- in accordance with Section 12© of the FOI Act if access to the information is required in a particular form or manner, this form or manner of access must be specified;
- include your return address and, if possible, a contact telephone number (to allow us to contact you to clarify your request, if necessary).
If you require any assistance in making a request, please contact our FOI Unit by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via post to:
FOI Unit, Gas Networks Ireland, Networks Services Centre, St. Margarets Road, Finglas, Dublin 11.
Related Documents and Useful Links
For further information on freedom of information, please find below some useful links and documents:
Gas Networks Ireland Freedom of Information Publication Scheme
Freedom of Information Central Policy Unit
Office of the Information Commissioner
Freedom of Information Act Legislation
Irish Statute Book
Fees and Payment Methods
Fees and Payments Methods are set as per the Freedom of Information Legislation.
Internal Review Fee:
If you would like to appeal the decision made by the Gas Networks Ireland FOI Unit regarding your initial request, a fee of €30 is required when submitting your request for an internal review (€10 for medical card holders).
- Electronic payment
- Postal Order
- Bank Draft
- Postal Orders, Cheques and Bank Drafts should be made payable to: Gas Networks Ireland
For further queries on Freedom of Information in relation to Gas Networks Ireland you can contact us via email to email@example.com or via post at: Networks Services Centre, St. Margarets Road, Finglas, Dublin 11.
Freedom of Information Disclosure Log
Gas Networks Ireland is required by the FOI Act to make available a summary of FOI requests and the subsequent replies on our website for reference purposes. All Freedom of Information requests since October 2015, other than requests for personal information are available here.