Appliance safety

Advice to help ensure the safety of your gas appliances and reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Room-sealed gas appliances

Choose room-sealed appliances for your home. With room-sealed appliances, fresh air for the combustion process comes from outside of the building. Emissions are then discharged outside. The air in the room where the appliance is fitted is therefore not used or affected by the appliance. Room-sealed appliances (balanced flue or fanned draught types) are recommended for new and replacement boilers and water heaters, as they significantly reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Gas cookers and hobs

A flame failure device is a protective device built into a hotplate, oven or gas burner which shuts off the gas supply when the flame is no longer detected.  In this way the device protects against a possible build up of unburnt gas.  For example, if the burner flame goes out or you forget to light the burner, you will be protected.

All new cookers and hobs sold in Ireland since 2005 require flame failure devices to be fitted on all burners.  If your cooker or hob was fitted prior to 2005 it may not have a flame failure device.  Check with your local gas cooker retailer for further advice.

Information about unsafe gas appliances

Unsafe gas cookers

In 2011 the the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) issued a call to locate certain gas cooker models which, in some circumstances, can cause fatal carbon monoxide poisoning. For specified makes and models of gas cooker with a separate oven and grill, operating the grill with the grill door closed can cause extremely dangerous levels of carbon monoxide to be produced which can rapidly cause serious injury or death. Certain models of the following gas cookers require URGENT modification: New World, Flavel, Leisure and Beko. More information on safety alerts can be found here.

Free safety inspection

For further information and to arrange a free safety inspection visit the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission website. Do not, under any circumstances, operate the grill with the grill door closed - it must always be in the open position. Use the cookers in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and do not use them for any purpose other than cooking.

Gas hob safety issue

July 2023 - Belling, Cooke and Lewis, Caple and Electriq gas hobs

In July 2023, the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) issued a warning to consumers to stop using particular gas hobs which were manufactured since 2019 and sold in Ireland.

An issue has been identified with the elbow joint on the connecting pipework of certain models of Belling, Cooke and Lewis, Caple and Electriq gas hobs. The CCPC is urging consumers to check if their gas hob is listed on the product safety information notices that can be found here. Affected customers should immediately stop using the gas hob.

September 2023 - Samsung branded gas hobs

A warning was issued in September 2023 to stop using certain Samsung branded gas hobs manufactured after May 2019. Further information can be found on the CCPC website.  Affected customers should immediately stop using the product and follow the steps outlined on the CCPC website.

October 2023 - Russell Hobbs gas hobs

A safety issue has been identified with Russell Hobbs Gas Hobs, Gas Supply Elbow Joint sold on Amazon. The gas supply elbow joint from the gas hob to the gas supply may fracture, which can cause gas to leak through the fracture. This presents a risk of burns, fire, explosion and poisoning from inhalation which could pose a risk to health, or even death. Further information can be found on the CCPC website.

Potentially unsafe oil to gas conversions

In the past, existing oil boilers were modified to operate on natural gas. This was achieved by replacing the oil burner on the unit with a gas burner, with the old boiler casing and heat exchanger being retained.

Appliances where oil burners were replaced with gas burners should be inspected by a Registered Gas Installer.

Potentially unsafe water heaters

A flue is a duct or pipe that removes exhaust gases from a gas appliance to the outdoors.  Flueless gas water heaters are considered dangerous because they use the air inside the room and discharge their products of combustion, including toxic carbon monoxide, into the same room.  If used over extended periods, the levels of carbon monoxide may build up to dangerous levels if there is a lack of ventilation.  In particular, bath heaters and water heaters over a sink may lead to dangerous carbon monoxide levels.

Free safety inspection

If you think you may have an unsafe water heater, contact Gas Networks Ireland now on 1800 89 89 89 for a free safety check.