- Ensure your boiler and gas appliances are installed correctly and serviced annually by a Registered Gas Installer.
- Choose room-sealed appliances for your home. With room-sealed appliances, fresh air for the combustion process comes from outside of the building and emissions are then discharged outside.
- Ensure the rooms in your home containing heating appliances are properly ventilated – never block vents.
- Make sure all chimneys and flues are regularly swept and kept clear.
- If you are concerned that an appliance is not operating safely, arrange for an appliance safety inspection by contacting your gas supplier or a Registered Gas Installer.
- For appliances that burn other fuels such as oil or solid fuel, ensure that they are installed and serviced regularly by a qualified service agent for your fuel type.
- Use fuel-burning appliances correctly and for the purposes they were intended. For example, never use a cooker to heat a room, never use a gas grill with the door closed and never use appliances inside that are intended for outside use (e.g. barbecues).
For more information, visit www.carbonmonoxide.ie
Visit www.carbonmonoxide.ie or call 1800 89 89 89 to find out more
Find out more about the causes, signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide and how to protect yourself and others from this deadly poison.Visit www.carbonmonoxide.ie