What to do if you smell gas
If you smell gas call our 24 Hour Emergency Service on 1800 20 50 50 and follow the steps below.
If you smell gas call our 24 Hour Emergency Service on 1800 20 50 50 immediately and follow the steps below.
- Ensure gas appliances are turned off and have not been left on and unlit
- Don’t smoke, vape or use a naked flame
- Don’t unplug or switch anything electrical on or off
- Open windows and doors
- If the smell persists turn off the gas at the meter, see our guide here
- Call our 24 hour Emergency Line on 1800 20 50 50 no matter who your gas supplier is.
- If you can’t get through, dial 999 / 112
- Don’t use a phone in the immediate area of the leak, use a neighbour’s or call from outside.
On the Street
- If you smell gas on the street, call 1800 20 50 50 immediately. Don't assume that someone else will.
In the interests of public safety all emergency calls are recorded.
If you experience any difficulty getting through to our 1800 numbers please use the following numbers:
If you smell gas call: 01 920 5050
For Customer Care call: 066 710 7334