What to do if you smell gas
Learn about the steps you should take if you smell gas in your home.
Emergency Alert: If you smell gas call our 24 Hour Emergency Service on 1850 20 50 50 immediately...
- Ensure gas appliances are turned off and have not been left on and unlit
- Don’t smoke or use naked flame
- Don’t unplug or switch anything electrical on or off
- Open windows and doors
- If the smell persists turn off the gas at the meter, see our guide here
- Call our 24 hour Emergency Line 1850 20 50 50 no matter who your gas supplier is
- If you can’t get through, dial 999 / 112
- Don’t use a phone in the immediate area of the leak, use a neighbour’s or call from outside
On the Street
- If you smell gas on the street, call 1850 20 50 50 immediately. Don't assume that someone else will
In the interests of public safety all emergency calls are recorded