What to do if you smell gas
Learn about the steps you should take if you smell gas in your home.
Emergency Alert: If you smell gas call our 24 Hour Emergency Service on 1850 20 50 50 immediately...
- Ensure gas appliances are turned off and have not been left on and unlit
- Don’t smoke or use naked flame
- Don’t unplug or switch anything electrical on or off
- Open windows and doors
- If the smell persists turn off the gas at the meter, see our guide here
- Call our 24 hour Emergency Line 066 979 1981 or 1850 20 50 50 no matter who your gas supplier is
- If you can’t get through, dial 999 / 112
- Don’t use a phone in the immediate area of the leak, use a neighbour’s or call from outside
On the Street
- If you smell gas on the street, call 066 979 1981 or 1850 20 50 50 immediately. Don't assume that someone else will
In the interests of public safety all emergency calls are recorded