We are committed to providing the best service possible for our vulnerable customers.
Our commitment to vulnerable customers
We are committed to providing the best customer service possible for all our customers, and in particular, we make specific provisions for those who require special services. Our commitment to customers, registered as ‘vulnerable’ on the Special Services Register, are outlined on this page.
We will never disconnect the gas supply of a ‘vulnerable’ customer during winter months unless it is for a specific safety reason.We will also contact a ‘vulnerable’ customer or nominated contact in advance of a planned interruption to their gas supply. We have dedicated Access Officers whose role is to ensure that our customers, with a disability, are provided with assistance and guidance in accessing our services and information.
Eligibility and registration
Who is eligible?
A vulnerable customer means a household customer who is particularly vulnerable to disconnection during winter months for reasons of advanced age or physical, sensory, intellectual or mental health. (S.I. No. 463 2011) In order to benefit from the special services we offer, you must first register your name on the Special Services Register.
How can I register?
The Special Services Register is a register of customers who are classified as vulnerable. All gas suppliers are responsible for identifying and maintaining a register of vulnerable customers (a Special Services Register) and providing Gas Networks Ireland with this information. If you would like to be included on this register you must contact your gas supplier. You will find contact details for your gas supplier on the CRU website or on your most recent gas bill. If you change your natural gas supplier, you should tell your new supplier that you are currently listed on the Special Services Register and they can then re-confirm status to us.
What we will do?
If you are registered on the special services register:
- We will not lock or disconnect your gas supply from 1st November to 31st March, unless it is necessary for safety reasons.
- If the safety issue relates to one of your appliances, it is your responsibility to have this repaired/replaced by a Registered Gas Installer before we can reconnect you.
- All customers classified as vulnerable on the Special Services Register will be dealt with as a priority for reconnection.
- Our field staff will not proceed with a disconnection if they determine on site that the customer is vulnerable, even if they are not registered on the Special Services Register.
- In the event of a gas network outage or planned gas supply interruptions, we will provide alternative heating and cooking facilities comprising of a two-ringed electric cooker and electric heater.
- We will contact vulnerable customers or nominated contacts to advise them in advance of any planned interruptions to their supply.
- We will treat the information on the Special Services Register and information you give us with due care and will only disclose it where necessary for the purposes of carrying out our duties. Our field staff will never disclose the fact that a customer is vulnerable and will be discreet and respectful in all their dealings with you.
- Our staff always carry photo identification. Please ask for identification before allowing access to your home. If you are visually impaired and have difficulty seeing identification please contact us and we can agree a security password between you and our field staff.
Customer Care information
- Call our 24 Hour Emergency Service 1850 20 50 50 immediately if you smell gas. For all other queries Call our Customer Service Line 1850 200 694 (Monday to Friday 8am – 8pm and Saturday 9am – 5.30pm).
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit gasnetworks.ie which complies with accessibility standards.
- Follow us on twitter @GasNetIRL
- Write to Customer Care, Gas Networks Ireland, Networks Services Centre, St. Margaret’s Road, Finglas, Dublin 11. D11 Y895
For visually impaired customers
The Vulnerable Customer Guide is available to download in PDF or plain text format. It is also available in braille and in CD audio format. Please contact us at 1850 200 694 to request a copy.
Accessibility of services and information for vulnerable customers
The role of our Access Officers are to ensure that our vulnerable customers, are provided with assistance and guidance in accessing our services and information. Email email@example.com for more information.