Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning
Signs of carbon monoxide may include:
- Staining, sooting or discolouring around an appliance
- Condensation on your windows
- A strange smell when an appliance is on (remember: carbon monoxide itself has no smell, but other fumes produced by burning may smell)
What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be similar to those caused by other illnesses such as a cold or flu.
If you, or anyone in your house, experience any of the following symptoms when using a gas appliance, or any fuel burning appliance, and you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning turn it off immediately and seek medical advice.
- Unexplained headaches, chest pains or muscular weakness
- Sickness, diarrhoea or stomach pains
- Sudden dizziness when standing up
- General lethargy
Other signs include:
- Symptoms occurring when a particular appliance is on
- Others in the property (including pets) suffering similar symptoms
- Symptoms improving when you are away from the property
Do not use/ turn on the appliance until it has been inspected by a Registered Gas Installer or a qualified service agent for your fuel type.
Visit www.carbonmonoxide.ie or call 1800 89 89 89 to find out more
Find out more about the causes, signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide and how to protect yourself and others from this deadly poison.Visit www.carbonmonoxide.ie